fc2ブログ

Uncharted Territory

自分が読んで興味深く感じた英文記事を中心に取り上げる予定です

RSS     Archives
 

クリントンとストーブ

 


雑誌Natureで、cooking stoveの問題を取り上げていました。台所の煙で命を亡くしている人々が数多くいることは先進国の我々としては想像できない問題です。

Global health: Deadly dinners
Polluting biomass stoves, used by one-third of the global population, take a terrible toll. But efforts to clean them up are failing.
Meera Subramanian
28 May 2014

And the urgency to transition billions of people around the world to cleaner forms of cooking has never been greater, in light of recent research revealing that emissions from traditional cooking-stoves pose a bigger threat than previously thought. Results from a global health study released earlier this year project that household air pollution from such fires causes more than four million premature deaths annually — more than one-quarter of them in India alone2. Earth's climate is also at risk from the smoke, which contains dark particles that absorb sunlight, alter atmospheric patterns and hasten glacial melting.

Environmental organizations, development groups and others have strived to solve the cooking-stove conundrum for decades, but momentum is finally gathering, thanks to the formation of the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves. This far-reaching public–private partnership was launched in 2010 by then US secretary of state Hillary Clinton. The Global Alliance has set a lofty goal of convincing 100 million households to adopt clean cooking-stoves by 2020, with an aim of eliminating deaths from cooking-stoves by 2030.

動画でも触れていますが、NGOなどが効率のよいコンロを導入しようとしているそうですが、これらの試みはうまくいっていないようです。

After decades of battling to get people to use improved cooking-stoves, many researchers worry that such devices will never win over consumers and thus never achieve the desired health and climate gains. “My bottom line is that nothing works,” Smith says. “The only thing we know that's ever worked is gas and electric.”

Balakrishnan makes a moral argument against improved cooking-stoves, which still produce harmful amounts of pollutants compared with LPG or electric ones, powered by remote energy plants that commonly use fossil fuels. “Are you justified in saying that it's OK to be just a little bit better?” she asks. “If it's OK for 40% of the population to use fossil fuels, then why is not OK for the other 60% of the population? How can we have dual standards?”



タイトルの「クリントンとストーブ」について説明します。Natureの記事でThis far-reaching public–private partnership was launched in 2010 by then US secretary of state Hillary Clinton.とあったので、さっそく読みかけのHard Choicesで検索してみたら、この問題について2−3ページ割いて触れていました。このアライアンスもツイッターで自伝で取り上げてもらったことを報告していました。アライアンスのサイトにいけば基本的な問題を整理できます。

Clinton.png
ツイッター
We love that Hillary Clinton's new book HARD CHOICES includes a section on clean ‪#cookstoves and the Alliance! ‪pic.twitter.com/sxH4ybhCkf



昨年の9月ではスピーチをしています。大統領選ばかりが取り上げられていますが、女性問題や開発問題に地道に取り組まれているヒラリーさんを尊敬しています。
スポンサーサイト



Comment


    
プロフィール

Yuta

Author:Yuta
FC2ブログへようこそ!




最新トラックバック



FC2カウンター

検索フォーム



ブロとも申請フォーム

QRコード
QR